.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom

I'm one of those people that temp agencies, and ordinary employment interviewers, don't know what the heck to do with. I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry, which is still an interest, but I don't want to do the kind of work I did in that area ever again. Besides, I left it 15 years ago. I then worked in publishing as a production editor, and then freelance copy edited and proofread. But that was by hand, in the US (while I now live in England), and I don't yet know Quark. Then I got a degree in textile design and worked for a fashion company. None of these skills are apparently of any use in finding work in Norwich, UK, at the age of 57, so I'm working a very boring office job three days a week. Have a suggestion? Please speak up.

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Message 1 12 23 04

Hello,

This is my first posting to my first blog, so bear with me. I decided to begin this blog because I'm doing something that a lot of Americans are considering right now, emigrating, and every time I mention it, I get lots of questions, mostly where, why, and how questions. So...

Where?
Great Britain, Suffolk or vicinity to be more specific.

Why?
The same reason that anybody goes to another country permanently. I think life will be better for me there. I don't like the direction the US is headed. I've done all I can to change things, to no avail, and now I think my best strategy for changing things is to literally (which means actually, as opposed to figuratively, which means not actually) vote with my feet.

How?
MY fiancee and I got lucky. He's in one of the professions that Great Britain is short of. They have this list (I'll provide a link soon) and they make it easier for folks who have certain types of expertise to get visas and working rights. As for me, I'm an artist, and artists are free to roam in the UK, as I understand it. There's actually a book on managing this thing, and I'll be linking it soon, too.

Those are the basics. My simple plan is to add to my answers to each of these questions each time I post. Then maybe I'll find some new questions to answer. You'll help me, right? I'm bound to end up talking politics. I'll talk about some of my history, which is relevant, and some of my plans, too, and I'll report on how it's turning out after we get there. Which brings me to one more question:

When?
Our plan is presently the, as they say, "back end" of March.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home