.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom

I'm one of those people that temp agencies, and ordinary employment interviewers, don't know what the heck to do with. I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry, which is still an interest, but I don't want to do the kind of work I did in that area ever again. Besides, I left it 15 years ago. I then worked in publishing as a production editor, and then freelance copy edited and proofread. But that was by hand, in the US (while I now live in England), and I don't yet know Quark. Then I got a degree in textile design and worked for a fashion company. None of these skills are apparently of any use in finding work in Norwich, UK, at the age of 57, so I'm working a very boring office job three days a week. Have a suggestion? Please speak up.

Sunday, December 26, 2004

More of the same: NOT

First let me apologize for not adding the links I mentioned in my first posting, yet. It's a matter of computers. The one I have at home is so old it won't really go to the blogger site. I tried to look in on my first posting and it gave me a word per line. So I'll use my work computer (not available until after the holiday) or my sweetie's until I get a new one.

Planning to emigrate has pushed me into finally making two major (for me) purchases that I''ve been planning for a long time. I tend to be a pack-rat. I have a pretty good eye for throw-aways that might be valuable, like the poster for a 1967 Beatles concert in Poland that turned up in the trash. I also have that aspect of an artist's heart, in particular, a fiber artist's heart, that won't let me leave fine handwork homeless. Then you add my inability to just throw anything away that still has use in it, and it's a good thing I've moved so often in my life because otherwise I would have long since vanished into what my sweetie calls "Isay's black hole". He uses my real name rather than Isay ( as in the British "I say, old man..." and as in "This is what I have to say."). He says this when I have trouble finding something I'm looking for, which is probably because I tried to get "organized". The very best way for me to lose something is for me to put it away in some logical place. Sometime's that's one of the things I'd most like to change about myself, but most times it doesn't bother me in the least.

Anyhow, I have a lot of "stuff" that may or may not be valuable or be useful to someone else., and I'd like to travel more lightly to Britain. My solution is to buy that digital camera I've been yearning for, since their prices finally came down to the point that I can afford one of the proper quality for me to make slides of the jewelry I make. I can also use pictures of all the other extras I'm planning to dispense with and sell or dispense them. Expect E-bay links eventually if you're thinking "Wonder what else she has besides a 1967 Beatles poster in Polish."

However, as I said, at present I am operating with a very old computer. It operates perfectly. It's just not up to the new technology for websites. It's a Mac, by the way, one of the early iMac's. Let me take this opportunity to plug Apple computers, which is paying me nothing. I've always had them at home. I've never had any trouble with them at all, unless you count figuring out how to get all your data off a still-functioning computer you're about to dispose of. Talk about the EverReady Rabbit! The typical Apple computer could beat his socks off!!! They keep right on going when you'd rather they'd not! And you never have a single worry concerning viruses and such.

In order to get rid of those things via the web, I'm going to need that new computer I've been wanting. Since a new computer, bought by before-tax UK wages in such a way that somehow your take-home is not affected, is one of the benfits we will be very grateful for when we get there, the one I buy before we go will be a laptop of some sort. I welcome any comments from folks who use graphics programs professionally about how much laptop I need, because that's how much I need to practice textile design using Photoshop and Illustrator and other textile-specific programs.

With these new things, I can freelance in the UK and I can begin to sell the things I make on the web, thus establishing some source of income even before we leave. (Wonder if you can add pictures to these blogs?)

AND IT WILL BE A LOT EASIER TO BLOG!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home