.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom

I'm one of those people that temp agencies, and ordinary employment interviewers, don't know what the heck to do with. I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry, which is still an interest, but I don't want to do the kind of work I did in that area ever again. Besides, I left it 15 years ago. I then worked in publishing as a production editor, and then freelance copy edited and proofread. But that was by hand, in the US (while I now live in England), and I don't yet know Quark. Then I got a degree in textile design and worked for a fashion company. None of these skills are apparently of any use in finding work in Norwich, UK, at the age of 57, so I'm working a very boring office job three days a week. Have a suggestion? Please speak up.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Some of those useful sites I promised, and more

Here are some very useful sites and resources for those who might be thinking about emigration:

If it's the UK you're pining for, the very best is:
www.uk-yankee.com
It's where I found discussions on shipping companies and the qualities and prices of their services, discussions about the UK's National Health Service, which turns out to be pretty good. The folks there said that they had heard horror stories and had a few bad experiences, but mostly good ones. And what's more is, they said that given their choice of the US or the UK system, they'd take the UK system. Mind you, these are folks who have experieced both, so they are not talking out of their hats. The services for childbirth and children's care (all prescriptions for children are FREE) were expecially praised.

If you're more intereted in going for a few years, or volunteering, or working for a while, or teaching then:
www.transitionsabroad.com
is a good resource. They publish a magazine you can get at your local B&N or Borders. Their info is also good for emigrating folks; there's just a lot of it that won't be specifically for that purpose.

If you're thinking of stretching your Social Security (assuming it's still there when you retire) or maybe buying a vacation place abroad or investing in property:
www.escapeartist.com
may suit you. Seems to me that a lot of their stuff takes money that I don't have, but maybe you do.

Retiring abroad was my plan before I figured out a way to head out before retirement. During my time in Poland, I noticed that a lot of folks who had emigrated to the US were coming back to retire. Made sense to me since the dollar went about three times as far there as it did at home. Wonder what that ratio is now. What does it say when the dollar loses value versus the Polish zloty? I mean, it was only while I was there that they started producing coins again. Coins are a sign of stability, because when a country's money is rapidly fluxuating and the what the country has to pay for the materials it makes the coins of isn't, printing paper money is more practical. Did I tell you I earned my first million in Poland? That was when 1,000,000 zlotow were about $40. Finally they changed 10,000 to 1 to make things simpler, but I still have a 50 sloty note, actually made more valueable by being folded into a frog.

Got to get me some readers for this blog! bye for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home