.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom

I'm one of those people that temp agencies, and ordinary employment interviewers, don't know what the heck to do with. I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry, which is still an interest, but I don't want to do the kind of work I did in that area ever again. Besides, I left it 15 years ago. I then worked in publishing as a production editor, and then freelance copy edited and proofread. But that was by hand, in the US (while I now live in England), and I don't yet know Quark. Then I got a degree in textile design and worked for a fashion company. None of these skills are apparently of any use in finding work in Norwich, UK, at the age of 57, so I'm working a very boring office job three days a week. Have a suggestion? Please speak up.

Thursday, December 30, 2004

The fun begins

It's getting to be very real now. We received the paperwork which commits both sides and the details (never as many details as you could use) of the relocation arrangements. And this morning we got a call to contact the British Consulate and begin the process of obtaining our work permits. The British government's website on all things between the US and Great Britain seems very extensive. I'm adding it to my favorites and will slowly work my way through the pertinent parts that do not apply specifically to the work permits.

it's:

www.britainusa.com

The dislocation is also setting in. I hate the in-between times when you are commited to being somewhere else soon but not so soon that you don't still have to go about the daily business of living and working where you are. My SO says that it gives special intensity to his enjoyment of and appreciation of the things that matter to him about our current life. I wish I could be that way, but instead, for me, I'm already wondering if I'll be able to find a thing there or a substitute that will satisfy. For instance, I never get tired of a regular slice of NY-style pizza and a 20-oz Coke for lunch (so much so that the folks at work tease me every day about it). I like fish and chips, too. But I doubt I'd want to have them every day.

Pret-a-Manger used to have something I think I could eat every day for lunch. They had this wonderful crispy-on-the-outside soft-on-the-inside hot croissant filled with melted cheese and mushrooms. Lord, I loved those things! But then, McDonalds bought a big piece of Pret stock and these wonderful croissants disappeared from the menu. I'm not sure the two things are connected. I don't care why. I want my croissant back!!!

By the way, did you know that Pret-a-Manger, even though it's a London (at least) ubiquitous (you find them everywhere) fast food place, pays its employees pretty well. About half again more than the usual US place. They also provide a lot more benefits. And I mean actually provide. Not like the health insurance option that Walmart makes such a big thing of. Turns out that the average Walmart employee would have to pay two months worth of his wages to take them up on that option. Guess how many do? Not to mention that half of Walmart's employees are elgibel for food stamps. Guess who pays for those and the public healthcare they have to use. Us. What you buy there really isn't so inexpensive after all.

Anyhow, I was talking about Pret. In addition, they give all their left-overs, every single day, to the homeless. And Pret sandwiches are substantial and nutritious.

Notice how much I love the soap box. I'll fit right in at Hyde Park, won't I?

Bye for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home