.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom

I'm one of those people that temp agencies, and ordinary employment interviewers, don't know what the heck to do with. I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry, which is still an interest, but I don't want to do the kind of work I did in that area ever again. Besides, I left it 15 years ago. I then worked in publishing as a production editor, and then freelance copy edited and proofread. But that was by hand, in the US (while I now live in England), and I don't yet know Quark. Then I got a degree in textile design and worked for a fashion company. None of these skills are apparently of any use in finding work in Norwich, UK, at the age of 57, so I'm working a very boring office job three days a week. Have a suggestion? Please speak up.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

And on the employment front...

I finally met another American in Norwich. And guess what she told me. When she and her husband first came here, they had a very hard first year. She submitted 57 CVs/applications and got not a single interview. Which is both bad news and good news. On one side, it tells me where I should put most of my available make-a-living energy, and on the other side, it tells me that those energies should probably not into submitting further applications. Which is the bad news. I guess I'd better figure out how to provide myself with a good living on my own.

So, how do I do that? Today I went to an introductory meeting for WEETU. It's a Grumere Bank (spelling my be wrong) type local organization that gives local women the training and information and connections they need to start small businesses, and also, once you've completed the training, there are loans available. The training leads all the way to your having a business plan and a qualification that is valuable in applying to a bank for a loan.

I'd deffinitely like to take it further, but their funding is only certain through March. This next round of training may be their last for a while. And until March, I really need to devote a certain amount of hours to the AA2A residency, and I still need to earn a certain amount one way or another, the way I now put it together from the temp job, selling the jewellery I make, and tutoring math and chemistry. The training takes about 10 weeks, about half a day 2 and then three days per week.

I've got some thinking to do. Any comments from the peanut gallery?

Knowing that it is so hard for an American, even a highly qualified one (It turns out the other American's qualifications are in editing, as are some of mine), to find employment here makes me feel angry. And anger about a social issue doesn't die down until I do something about it. Just for this evening, this is what I'm doing about it. But believe me, this is not the end. When I do have my business, I may well go out of my way to hire emigrants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home