.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom

I'm one of those people that temp agencies, and ordinary employment interviewers, don't know what the heck to do with. I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry, which is still an interest, but I don't want to do the kind of work I did in that area ever again. Besides, I left it 15 years ago. I then worked in publishing as a production editor, and then freelance copy edited and proofread. But that was by hand, in the US (while I now live in England), and I don't yet know Quark. Then I got a degree in textile design and worked for a fashion company. None of these skills are apparently of any use in finding work in Norwich, UK, at the age of 57, so I'm working a very boring office job three days a week. Have a suggestion? Please speak up.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Why I'm emigrating.

Every day I stay in the US I see more reasons to emigrate, particularly among the Craiglist discussions I participate in. Today's discussion of interest regarded vacations and how few American even have passports or have ever traveled outside the country. When I graduated from college, it was pretty normal for college graduates to take a summer trip to Europe after graduation. Of course, only 20% of American ever graduate from college. I think the college part is significant. I always advise kids to go away to college and live in the dorm. There is just so much to learn outside what is taught in the classes of any college. For many people, it's the first time they meet people who challenge the values they were raised with just by being. For example, I was raised by very strict anti-alcohol parents. I grew up knowing where I would go to college, a church-related school. And I arrived there thinking maybe 5% of people drank any alcoholic beverages and those were all bad people. Well, I think I found out the first week that that wasn't true. I never have been able to develop a taste even for beer, myself, probably entirely psychological, but certainly not worth a big effort to change.
Anyhow, the classic American 2-week vacation was brought up as part of the reason Americans don't travel. I understand that. Once in a while, you have to visit the relatives, and once you've gone to see them for Thanksgiving or Christmas, there's just not much vacation time left. Then there's the problem of jet lag. You have to deal with that in both directions, so by the time you go somewhere far enough away to induce it and get past it, it's time to go back home a touch early so you'll have time to have got past it before you have to start work, especially since at a lot of jobs, no one will have done your work while you were gone. Taking a holiday has already meant working extra hard the week before, and you're going to have to work extra hard the week you come back as well. No wonder so many folks chose just to not take the holiday in the first place, let alone taking one outside the country.
What is going to happen when Americans finally realize that the same companies that are giving them vacations of only two weeks and keep increasing the portion of healthcare their employees pay and cutting back on their contribution to the retirement plans of their employees, these same companies are paying their employees in other countries more, giving them 5-week vacations, giving them much greater benefits, and.....GET THIS!!!!....they still manage to make a profit from their offices in those other countries. Why would they be there at all if thei weren't. What is going to happen when american realize all this?
When they start traveling outside the US and find out how good things are alsewhere. That's when.
Me, i realized it a long time ago and it's a big factor in my leaving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home