.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom

I'm one of those people that temp agencies, and ordinary employment interviewers, don't know what the heck to do with. I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry, which is still an interest, but I don't want to do the kind of work I did in that area ever again. Besides, I left it 15 years ago. I then worked in publishing as a production editor, and then freelance copy edited and proofread. But that was by hand, in the US (while I now live in England), and I don't yet know Quark. Then I got a degree in textile design and worked for a fashion company. None of these skills are apparently of any use in finding work in Norwich, UK, at the age of 57, so I'm working a very boring office job three days a week. Have a suggestion? Please speak up.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

I did not forget. I did get busy.

Although this blog has been costantly on my mind, the demands of a move overseas have commanded the use of my hands, and other significan parts, since I last posted. For one thing (dum de de dum dum dum dum DAH!) I got married. This means that I can move to England with my sweetie and have full working rights. One very very very long honeymoon in Europe is anticipated.

Another thing that has taken a lot of time and effort is beginning to get rid or all the things we're NOT taking with us. A few years ago, when we combined households, a lot of my sweetie's possession had to be put in storage. These include a huge MAN'S couch. You know the kind. Swede. Three generous seats, two of which have lazy-boy type foot supports. A huge TV. Two tables, no make that three. A vacuum. Two big speakers. A chair. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I decided the best way to sell them would be to post them each on Craigslist (a website you ought to check out for any number of reasons) separately. This took one evening. And every evening since I've spent some considerable time replying to enquiries and trying to organize a time when a good number of the folks who replied can come to the storage space, look things over, make deals, and carry off their prizes.

And my sweetie started a new job. Ever start a new job after a considerable period of not working? Doesn't matter how easy the job is. You come home feeling like wet spaghetti for the first week or so. We're both having some trouble adjusting to the new schedule and just getting everything done that needs done in the time available with both of us working. And he says it's very weird to be starting a job and not being able to tell his coworkers about one of the biggest things on his mind. It just wouldn't do to blurt out "I'll be moving to England in about two months!" when you've just started a supposedly permanet job.

So why start one? Because you never know. The move to England could still fall through for any number of reasons.

Speaking of the new schedule, I MUST get to bed now. Hope to post sooner. Resolve to post sooner. Promise to post sooner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home