.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Norwich, United Kingdom

I'm one of those people that temp agencies, and ordinary employment interviewers, don't know what the heck to do with. I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry, which is still an interest, but I don't want to do the kind of work I did in that area ever again. Besides, I left it 15 years ago. I then worked in publishing as a production editor, and then freelance copy edited and proofread. But that was by hand, in the US (while I now live in England), and I don't yet know Quark. Then I got a degree in textile design and worked for a fashion company. None of these skills are apparently of any use in finding work in Norwich, UK, at the age of 57, so I'm working a very boring office job three days a week. Have a suggestion? Please speak up.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Update in March

We've been here nearly a year now. My husband has been totally cleared of all the accusations, with the help of the legal system. It sure has taken a while, though, and in the meanwhile, he must start the process of getting the final approval of his qualifications all over again through a different agency. His strongest skills are being used in the most mundane way in his present job. We have learned, though, that patience and not giving up do eventually work here.

As for me, I have set out again on the path to employment. I complete the WEETU course tomorrow and the AA2A mini-residency at the end of March. Because my jewelry is in two shops and I am tutoring three students, i will only need to take on part-time work at the moment. I seriously hope it will not be office work. I simply can't build a good work history here doing work I do not enjoy.

I've contacted the temp agency I worked for just before taking on the AA2A and during it up to December. I was doing data entry, mostly. I've also left off my CV at four places, each time with a little speech about how I hesitate to leave it without talking to the hiring person because my extensive background tends to discourage hiring for lo level jobs. One was at Borders. I actually have bookstore experience and enjoyed the work. Ironically, it was at the Borders at the World Trade Center (sometime before the fall). I also left it at a bridal shop which needs someone on Saturdays. Some of my beadwork would be great for weddings and I'm a whiz at hand sewing and embroidery in particular, but I left it there once before with no response. Another place was a kidswear store, where the clerk at the sales desk was a textile graduate herself, but not the hirer, of course. And the last was a designer shop, where the sales clerk was impressed with my NY fashion background, but also not the hirer. If nothing happens on Monday, I'll be out to the other agencies on Tuesday.

I do have prospects. The costumer I worked with in NYC, Lara of LaraCorsets (google it), who has a side business in historically accurate corsets and gowns, wants me to do hand embroidery on two gowns. One will be floral, the other blackwork. I'm really looking forward to it.

I also have an interview on Thursday for a local arts project that aims to reconcile older folks with young folks in a dodgy neighborhood. I studied criminology (the main problem for the elders seems to be fear of crime by the youths) and race ethnic relations, which should help, and I have several ideas. But I am not interviewing for lead artist, so I may not have the opportunity to carry them out. The lead artist was to have experience in a project with young people. Another case of the type of thing artists in the US don't document, though there is no doubt that I was one of the best demonstrators at the West Virginia fair when it came to interacting with young people.

And then there's no telling what the AA2A show or the other show might bring me. Not to mention the fact that I am getting to know quite a few of the local artists through WEETU, the AA2A, an artists networking group, and all the other resources I have used in the past few months. I'm seriously hoping I will eventually be able to do some reenactment work, though I simply cannot afford right now to volunteer.

I'm wondering what difference my activities since my last search for work here will have. I will be very disappointed if there is no discernable effect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home